LalBrew Köln is ideal for brewing traditional Kölsch-style beers and other neutral ales. The neutral character of this strain accentuates delicate hop aromas while imparting subtle fruity esters. Through expression of a beta-glucosidase enzyme LalBrew® Köln can promote hop biotransformation and accentuate hop flavor and aroma. Colder fermentation's will be more neutral in character, while warmer fermentation's will have more fruit-forward ester profile.
- In Lallemand’s Standard Conditions Wort at 20°C (68°F) LalBrew Köln yeast exhibits: Fermentation that can be completed in 7 days, a bit slower than most ale strains. This is perfectly characteristic of this strain.
- Medium to High Attenuation and Medium Flocculation, Neutral to slightly fruity and estery flavor and aroma.
- The optimal temperature range for LalBrew® Köln yeast when producing traditional styles is 12 – 20°C (54 – 68°F).
- Lag phase can be longer compared to other ale strains, ranging from 24-36 hours.
- Lag phase, total fermentation time, attenuation and flavor are dependent on pitch rate, yeast handling, fermentation temperature and nutritional quality of the wort.