Below we will cover the main pieces of equipment and ingredients used for distilling high quality, pure alcohol; and how to use them efficiently. Let's get started!
A compact, sleek stainless steel still for those who want a no fuss way of producing 1 L (1 US qt) of 40% ABV spirit at a time. Distils alcohol at 60% strength. Used with a small 10 L (2.6 US Gal) fermenter making this system easy to move and operate from any kitchen, boat or camper van.
Difficulty - Basic
Capacity - 4L (1 US Gal)
Time - 7-10 Day Fermentation. Approx. 2 hours distilling per 1L of 40% alcohol
Yield - 2L (2 US qt) of 40% ABV alcohol per 8L (2.1 US Gal) wash
Purity - Distils at 60% ABV (120 US proof) before being watered down to 40% (80 US proof)
QUICK GUIDE TO DISTILLING WITH THE AIR STILL
1. Wash – Make an 8 L (2.1 US Gal) wash by mixing water, sugar, carbon and yeast in the fermenter. Allow to sit and
ferment for 7-10 days.
2. Distil – Put 4 L (1 US Gal) of the fermented wash into the Air Still and turn on. 700 ml (23.6 US fl oz) of 60% ABV will be collected.
3. Dilute and Filter – Dilute alcohol from 60% to 40% by adding 300 ml (10.1 US fl oz) of water. Filter the alcohol by using a carbon based filter.
4. Flavour – Flavour your alcohol by adding your favourite Still Spirits spirit or liqueur flavouring.
5. Repeat – Repeat with the second halfof your wash.
• Easy to operate, set up and use. With no hoses or complicated assembly, the Air Still is extremely easy to use wherever and whenever you want to, whatever your experience.
• Attractive, small compact design. Perfect for using as an every day appliance in your kitchen or home.
• Uses no water when running. The Air Still is fitted with an efficient internal fan to cool the alcohol vapours and requires no cooling water.
• Takes 2 hours to distil 1 L (1 US qt) of 40% ABV spirit from 4 L (1 US Gal) of wash.
• Flavour alcohol with a range of Still Spirits flavourings.
The ultimate still in home distilling, the T500 is a must for anyone who wants to produce large quantities of extremely clean, pure alcohol. The T500 allows you to collect an astonishing 95% of the possible alcohol from the wash and produces a purity of up to 93% making it the perfect base for flavouring into any spirit or liqueur you like.
Difficulty - Intermediate
Capacity -25L (6.6 US Gal)
Time - 3-10 Day Fermentation. Approx 4.5 hours distilling time per 8L of 40% alcohol
Yield - 8L (2.1 US Gal) of 40% per 25L (6.6 US Gal) wash. (Note: Calculation based on using the standard recipe of 6kg (13.2lb) of sugar)
Purity - Distils at 93% ABV (186 US proof) alcohol before watered down to 40% (80 US proof)
QUICK GUIDE TO DISTILLING WITH THE T500 STILL
1. Wash – Make a 25 L (6.6 US Gal) wash using sugar or Turbo Sugar and a Still Spirits Turbo Yeast. Allow to ferment for 3-10 days (depending on yeast selected).
2. Distil – Set up the T500, and connect to your water supply. Add wash to the boiler part of the T500 and turn still and water on. Fermented wash will heat up and reflux through the column while the running water will keep the still between 55-65°C (131-149°F). Collect alcohol in an external vessel.
3. Dilute and Filter – Dilute alcohol from 93 to 50% ABV by adding water before filtering through a carbon filter.
4. Flavour – Dilute alcohol further to 40% ABV and flavour by adding your favourite Still Spirits spirit or liqueur flavouring.
• Column available in either a 304 grade stainless steel construction or traditional copper.
• Produces alcohol at 93% purity.
• Takes as little as 4.5 hours to distil a 25 L (6.6 US Gal) wash to produce 8 L (2.1 US Gal) of spirit when watered down to 40% ABV.
• Connects to the kitchen, laundry or garden tap and uses a constant flow of cold water while the still is running to maintain optimum temperatures and ensure the best quality spirit.
• Flavour with a range of Still Spirits flavourings.
ALEMBIC POT STILL
Designed for the artisan distiller. While the T500 is designed to strip all flavours from the wash, the Alembic Condenser and Dome Top combined with the Still Spirits Boiler form a pot still, designed to retain and enhance flavours in the wash. Perfect for when you are distilling whiskey, rum and brandy washes to make the spirit from traditional ingredients, just like the professionals.
Difficulty - Advanced
Capacity -25L (6.6 US Gal)
Time - 7-10 Day Fermentation Approx. 5 hours distilling time to distil 25 L (6.6 US Gal) of fermented wash
Yield - 3.5-7L (3.7-7.4 US qt) of 40% ABV per 25L (6.6 US Gal) wash
Purity - Distils at 70% ABV (140 US proof) before being watered down to 40% (80 US proof)
QUICK GUIDE TO DISTILLING WITH THE ALEMBIC POT STILL
1. Wash – Make the wash using the traditional ingredients used to make the particular spirits you are wanting to distil.
2. Stripping-run – Set up the pot still and do an initial run of the still.
3. Spirit-run – Rerun the collected spirit through the alembic pot still and collect different fractions or “cuts” of the collected spirit at the stages according to the recipe. This is called the “spirit-run”.
4. Mix – Mix the fractions together according to your recipe.
5. Age – Age the spirit on oak chips or staves depending on spirits and recipe.
• Traditional copper dome top acts as a catalyst with the vapour in the still and helps enhance and concentrate flavours in the wash.
• Fits onto the T500 Boiler. Comes with a thermometer, tubing and tap adapter set.
• Perfect for distilling traditional whiskeys, rum and brandy.
• Can be used with Still Spirits Distillery Kits, which contain all the ingredients for the wash.
• Takes approximately 3 hours to get about 7L (7.4 US qt) of 70% ABV spirit for a single distillation, and a further 2 hours for the second distillation. The second distillation will yield approx 3.5L (3.7 US qt) at 40% ABV.
ENSURING THE BEST RESULTS
For ultimate spirit quality! Specifically designed for use during fermentation, and is perfect to use with sugar as an alternative to Turbo Sugar where it is unavailable. It has a unique activated internal pore structure, which removes impurities not taken out by post distillation filtration. It significantly improves the performance of all Turbo Yeasts.
Fast, clean and easy to use. The EZ Filter is the latest development in alcohol filtration. It uses a specially formulated solid activated carbon cartridge to remove unwanted flavours from distilled alcohol.